Today’s colleges and universities are facing increased challenges to attracting top students, driving applications, and increasing donations. Direct mail may seem a bit old school, but it’s still a powerful recruitment tool.
Here are some uses that admission officers use direct mail and what goes into a direct mail marketing plan:
Uses of direct mail for college recruitment
- Personalized mailings: Personalized mailings are a great way to show prospective students that you’re interested in them specifically. You can use direct mail to send students letters from admissions officers, current students, or alumni. You can also send them personalized brochures or other materials that highlight their interests or academic goals.
- Targeted mailings: Targeted mailings allow you to reach a specific audience of prospective students. For example, you could send mailings to students who have taken the ACT or SAT, students who have expressed interest in a particular academic program, or students who live in a certain geographic area.
- Event invitations: Direct mail is a great way to invite prospective students to campus events, such as open houses, information sessions, and tours. You can also use direct mail to send students invitations to special events, such as athletic competitions or cultural performances.
- Thank-you notes: Once a student has applied to your institution, be sure to send them a thank-you note. This is a great way to show your appreciation for their interest and to reiterate your commitment to helping them achieve their academic goals.
- Donor cultivation: Direct mail can also be used to cultivate relationships with potential donors. You can use direct mail to send donors thank-you notes for their gifts, updates on how their gifts are being used, and invitations to special events.
Direct mail marketing plan
A direct mail marketing plan is a document that outlines your goals, target audience, and budget for your direct mail campaign. It should also include a timeline for your campaign and a strategy for evaluating your results.
Here are the steps involved in creating a direct mail marketing plan:
- Set your goals. What do you hope to achieve with your direct mail campaign? Do you want to increase applications? Generate leads? Raise money? Once you know your goals, you can develop a plan to achieve them.
- Identify your target audience. Who are you trying to reach with your direct mail campaign? Are you targeting prospective students, current students, alumni, or donors? Once you know your target audience, you can tailor your message and design accordingly.
- Set your budget. How much money are you willing to spend on your direct mail campaign? Your budget will determine the size and scope of your campaign.
- Develop your message. What do you want to say to your target audience? Your message should be clear, concise, and persuasive. It should also be tailored to your specific goals and target audience.
- Design your materials. Your direct mail materials should be visually appealing and attention-grabbing. They should also be easy to read and understand.
- Choose a mailing list. You can purchase mailing lists from a variety of vendors. Be sure to choose a list that is targeted to your specific audience.
- Mail your materials. Once your materials are ready, you can mail them to your target audience. Be sure to use a reputable mailing service and to track your results so that you can see what is working and what is not.
Tips for effective direct mail campaigns
- Personalize your mailings. Prospective students and donors are more likely to respond to mailings that are personalized to them. You can personalize your mailings by using the recipient’s name, mentioning their interests, or sending them targeted materials.
- Segment your mailing list. Segmenting your mailing list allows you to send more targeted messages to different groups of people. For example, you could send different mailings to prospective students who are interested in different academic programs.
- Use high-quality materials. Your direct mail materials should be well-written and well-designed. They should also be printed on high-quality materials.
- Make it easy for recipients to respond. Include a clear call to action in your mailings and make it easy for recipients to respond. For example, you could include a link to your website or a phone number that they can call.
- Track your results. It’s important to track the results of your direct mail campaigns so that you can see what is working and what is not. You can track your results by using a variety of methods, such as response cards, coupons, or unique landing pages.
Direct mail is still a powerful recruitment tool for colleges and universities. By following the tips above, you can create effective direct mail campaigns that will help you achieve your goals.
Is Direct Mail of interest? Let’s talk more about your institution’s goals and how PrintGizmo by eLynxx Solutions can help make your direct mail campaign a simple task and reduce costs. Contact eLynxx Solutions to learn how other Universities and Colleges are benefiting from our cloud software.